Sunday, March 7, 2010

TOO CLOSE to the edge of the cliff....

Yesterday was one of those days I will NEVER forget...ever! Paul is a Superman, a Hero...he literally saved a man's life (like a stuntman would right out of a movie)...seriously!!! Well it all started when Paul and I hiked five miles up a mountain and got to the most rugged cliff overlooking all of Birmingham. Paul loves this city and especially taking pictures from this high point. The cliff is about a 150-200 foot drop straight down.
While we were looking out at the scenery, we noticed a man climbing from the bottom of the canyon all the way up to the top! We just thought this man was an experienced rock climber since he had no gear, rope or harness so we thought nothing of it. Paul had the camera around his neck and was busy taking pictures of the skyline and I was tending to Bunni and watching that rock climber the whole time. Finally the man made it to the top and he started walking my way...I noticed how eerily he walked so close to the edge of the cliff!!!
Bunni started barking loudly at the man thinking he was some kind of preditor. Paul didn't turn around and kept on taking pictures from the lookout point. Then it happened. Bunni startled the man and he FELL right over the straight down 200 foot cliff!!!! Time froze. I froze. Bunni froze. Paul didn't notice the incident and kept on snapping pictures. It was quiet...too quiet! Finally I found my voice and yelled "PAUL! That man just fell over the cliff!!!" Paul thought I was joking at first until he noticed rocks and dust start flying up in the air. Paul leaped off the rock at full speed...it was as though he had turned into Popeye right after eating his spinach! Paul was expecting to see a dead man at the bottom of the canyon. Instead, he saw a man hanging on to a small rock off the cliff...the eerie thing of all was that the man wasn't screaming at all for help. He was dangling in mid air...his life flashing before his eyes! I was so afraid that Paul was going to go over the cliff with the man! Then with adrenaline and strength I have never seen before, Paul grabbed the man (who was a lot bigger than himself) by the vest with one arm and flung him in the air back up on the ledge!!!








3 comments:

WinD said...

Go Paul!

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you, Paul! And ya'll make an adorable couple:)
Love you,
gb

AKat said...

HA! That's awesome!!!