Romans 14:21 KJV "It is good neither to eat meat nor drink wine nor do anything by which your brother stumbles or is offended or is made weak."
Romans 14:21-22 NASB "It is good not to eat meat or to drink wine, or do to anything by which your brother stumbles. The faith which you have, have as your own conviction before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves."
I am not saying that drinking is a "sin." But I truly believe that if it causes our brother to stumble, we shouldn't do it. If we casually drink here and there and a fellow brother says to himself..."Wow, if Elizabeth can drink and not get drunk, then I can do the same." However, this same brother might come from an alcoholic background and end up going down the road to becoming an alcoholic.
I also realize that Jesus drank wine with the disciples. However, he didn't just causally drink all the time either. He drank wine at the Last Supper and at the Wedding Feast...but wine back then was used for medical purposes by killing the bacteria and making the drinking water safe.
I don't want to preach at anyone. I just feel lead to express my opinion about casual drinking. I think as Christians, we need to take a stand and not cause our brother to stumble. There are a lot of alcoholics out there and if we can "drink" and not be affected...hey that's fine, but how does that look to someone who can also "drink" and not be able to stop?!
1 comment:
Good point, Liz. Good point.
Post a Comment